Monday, September 1, 2008

deja vu


I do like to take an interest in the world around me and the going ons, sometimes its just hard with my busy life. I am aware of the torch relay and people dying in riots, and the fears of a new cold war between Georgia and Russia, I just never have the time to sit down and listen to the speeches that the candidates running for election make, even though its probably a priority I should make. Although with all of the fuss about hurricane Gustav, it's bringing in some familiar feelings relative to hurricane Katrina. The majority is due to the fact that if tomorrow the actual hurricane touches the tip of FL then it will be exactly 3 years to the date. Hurricane Katrina touched down in New Orleans on September 2nd, 2005, how ironic would it be if Gustav touched down the same day three years later. I inevitably was birthed right in the middle of hurricane season, I'm guessing this is a bad thing. The way it stands right now, with the gas prices seemingly high if any damage is done in FL all of the gas prices for states south of IN are going to be seeing those rise even more, and if any damage is done around TX or a little east of TX then IN and surrounding states will be seeing the same outcome..

I remember when hurricane Katrina hit my dad called me crying, it was the first time that I heard him truly crying and didn't know what to do. He had lived about 20 miles outside of New Orleans around the time and was forced out of his home, he called me during the aftermath, when he was aloud to go back and gather up what he could. He was 16 miles away from New Orleans and said that he could barely take the smell of it. He said the lingering smell of dead bodies and food that had gone bad was just overwhelming. There were dead alligators and other animals on the sides of the road and he went into the city and witnessed something he said that he would never forget. There were people sleeping in cots and on the ground of a wasteland, eating garbage, and looked like savages. The death toll from 3 months after the hurricane was 1300, and more bodies are being found all the time.

The New Orleans Saints are currently residing here in Indianapolis practicing since their game was canceled due to the bad weather. I hate to see people having to flee from their homes again and being packed onto buses, shoulder to shoulder, and not know where they are being sent off to. It sad stuff.

No comments: